Review: An Unexpected Truth by S.A. Meade

A trust destroyed is a trust that is hard to recover…

Brendan Matthews is happy training racehorses for a living. He thinks he’s hit the jackpot when a wealthy orthopedic surgeon, Adam Ahmadi, sends six yearlings his way. Not only are the horses a cut above the rest, their owner isn’t too shabby either.

But not everything is as it seems. Adam has many secrets, most of them dark and deadly. When Adam’s past returns with a vengeance, he disappears, leaving Brendan confused and hurt.

If Adam survives, will his past destroy their future?






Is it possible to have a slow burn romance where the MC’s fall for one another quickly but also take their time with the relationship that’s filled with lies and angst? You bet your sweet ass it is and this book is proof.
“I know I have no sort of claim on you… on us but I think there’s a chance that we could be an us. Am I making sense?”
From reading the blurb I thought I knew what I would be getting with this romance and I was so wrong. Those two words in the title; unexpected and truth, you need to keep those in mind because it’s the soul of this story.

Told from the dual POV’s of our MC’s we meet Brendan our resident horse trainer as he is waiting to meet the owner of the new horses that will be under his care and tutelage. The owner, one Dr. Adam Ahmadi is not at all hard on the eyes and the chemistry between the men is palpable from the get go. Both Adam and Brendan fancy one another and begin a fast friendship but they keep it there for some time to just simply enjoy the company of another man while getting to know each other.

Brendan is this strong, loving and down to earth man who loves his work with the horses. The pride he takes in training proves itself at the races and he’d like nothing more than to live his life with a man he loves at his side. Meeting Adam provides a bit of conflict as he doesn’t mix business with pleasure but the attraction these two have is too strong to deny or let slip away.

Adam, oh boy he was a joy to read. The doctor, the surgeon that is no more due to an accident that destroyed his money maker, aka his hand finds solace, gratitude and love with Brendan in his small house on the ranch. The snowed in days with these two were beautiful to read and through it all, I truly believe Adam wants nothing more than to be with Brendan.
“[…] but it just makes me wonder how many other secrets he’s hiding. There’s a trust issue here. Or maybe I’m just being oversensitive.”
It was lovely to get both POV’s because as I’ve said before, there are unexpected truths that come about in this book. Those truths are something I was not prepared for and kinda came out of left field but then again, they had to and it wouldn’t have worked any other way. I know I am being vague about it and I have to so that when you read it, you get as blindsided as I did when it all is revealed.

There are times with books I like to try and figure out what will happen before it does but the author does a beautiful job of setting and telling this story that I simply sat back and let it unfold the way she intended. Sometimes it works better that way, to let the story play out and enjoy the ride.

The romance was comfortable and yet sexy at the same time. I love watching Brendan and Adam fall for one another even amongst the angst, chaos and even lies that come between them. It’s been said forgiveness is a virtue of the brave and that’s what this romance truly is. It’s brave and it becomes honest and pure as it’s baptized through the fires of the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment