Guest Review: Pushing Phillip (Common Powers #4) by Lynn Lorenz

Jobless, homeless and alone at Christmas—can his new friends keep him from running?

When the guys decide to spend Christmas together at the ranch, it’s going to be a time for catching up with each couple. Rush and Brian are hosting, Edward and Jack will be there and Mitchell and Sammi are coming in from Houston.

When Brian and Rush take Phillip, a newly outed gay man, under their wings, they discover he’s got a power. But this power is one that makes all of them uncomfortable, along with the young man himself as issues of trust arise.

Phillip finds himself jobless, homeless and alone for the holiday, and he’s run out of options. Just when he’s ready to move on, he finds new friends who are ready to give him a second chance at his dreams. Along with a second chance at love.


Reviewer: NeRdyWYRM

Things That Make You Go ...

Hmm? Crazy? Take your pick. I'm not sure what it was about this book that irked me. Maybe it was a lot of little things that added up to one big ... irk. I dunno. What I do know is that it was a personal failing and not a problem with the book itself.

failure to communicate

I'm not too fond of MCs with really bad self-esteem. Is that shitty? Probably. But it's true. So, strike one. I'm also not fond of 'runners'. Strike two. Strangely enough, I'm pretty non-confrontational myself, but I don't run from my problems, if you know what I mean.

I never got to 'strike three' but otherwise, I just had a hard time with this one I guess. It was sweet, it was heartwarming, the angst was low-key, and I was rooting for Phillip, I really was. It was nice to see some of the previous MCs from the series again and the premise was interesting, too. It just didn't manage to tick off very many of my 'fan-freaking-tastic' boxes.

I recommend it for fans of the author and/or of the series. It was a good book, it just wasn't for me.



More reviews by NeRdyWYRM can be found on Goodreads here.
Images (when present) may be subject to copyright.
An ARC copy of this title was provided for an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment