Review: Snowflakes and Cinnamon Buns by Claire Castle

Cameron Pearce loves to work hard and play hard. Living in New York City, means lots of men and lots of variety. He isn’t looking for love.

When he goes to his small hometown Dickensville for Christmas, food, friends, family and seeing his best friend Levi are what’s on the agenda. He also hopes for some friends-with-benefits enjoyment.

Levi Jones owns and runs his own café in Dickensville. He loves the Christmas season and all that comes with it. Decorating, baking, and snow among other things. Another perk is when Cameron visits home and he gets him all to himself.

What will happen when true feelings are revealed and everything is put on the line. Will their friendship survive? Can best friends go from hooking up to a real relationship? Do they even want to?

This book contains delicious cinnamon buns, a cute westie and sexy hot men to warm up your holidays.


The setup for Snowflakes and Cinnamon Buns was like Jizzmas catnip for me and I was really looking forward to read this BFFs with Benefits to Lovers tale. And, for the most part, it was fine, but it was an opportunity missed for the rest. Snowflakes and Cinnamon Buns is textbook telling and very little showing for the narration. And that was a bummer because the conversations between characters flowed pretty well, but the rest read rather clunkily and the transition between thoughts and chapters was just awkward enough to pull me out of the story.

Even though he came back home to help his parents and I chose to stay and explore the big city, we could always reconnect and start where we’d left off. It was great. A few times Levi came to visit me in New York City and I would show him all the tourist attractions. He loved my condo for some reason. Marketing was my passion and I loved my job, luckily.

I mean, that paragraph is telling me things, but the choppiness of it makes me focus on the periods at the end of each sentence and the flow just stops. While that may be a tougher read for me, it may not be a niggle for you, so take my words with a grain of salt that goes with a pet peeve.

The sex scenes are definitely steamy, so there is no doubt that Cameron and Levi have more than friendship possibilities on the table. And those pieces of the story flowed, so I know it’s a possibility for the rest of the story. My real issue was Cameron’s actions when Levi came clean about his feelings.

I don’t want to get all spoilery, but I do have to ask, what the actual fuck? Cameron went back to New York and basically just bailed out? Seriously? For that length of time?? It was too much to make the reunion believable for me. Way too much. Levi deserved better and if the two of them were such great best friends since childhood, Cameron shouldn’t/wouldn’t have pulled a ghost on Levi like that.

This story had some real positive aspects and then just a couple of left turns that killed it for me. Some additional editing to the narration and transitions and a redo of the Cameron fuckery would bump this story up a star or two easily. The bones and charm are there, but I still haven’t forgiven Cameron so I don’t really get how Levi could. The misunderstanding that wasn’t could have been dialed back by 10 and would have given enough conflict to keep the story interesting and still make it realistic.


**A copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment