Review: Blood Drop (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge #5) by Jacob Z. Flores

A single drop of blood might hold the key to the fate of the magical world, and Aiden Teine must choose between his bond of love and embracing the power to defeat his enemies.

Aiden’s adjustment to being the first vampyre fae hasn’t been easy, but his ties to warlock Thad Blackmoor prevent him from becoming a monster. With Thad, Aiden has a new family, a new purpose, and a new reason to live—though he’s technically undead. There’s one problem: Aiden’s control over his vampyre is weakening. He must learn what’s triggering his violent reactions before he surrenders to the creature within. To complicate matters, Aiden discovers his transformation might not be complete, and he fears what he will become.

Aiden’s search for answers thrusts him into a frightening world filled with deception, new dangers, and apocalyptic visions. The part destiny intends Aiden to play could alter his relationship with Thad forever. If Aiden, Thad, and the entire magical community are to survive Icarian’s latest scheme, Aiden must interpret the meaning of the prophetic blood drop before it falls and ushers in the destruction of all creation—and the warlock he loves.



If you’ve read my reviews for the previous books in this series you know I am a huge fan. I love that we get the first books told from the Blackmoor brothers POV’s as we learn about their lives as warlocks and meet the men they come to love. Then we move into the second half of the series which are told by three different men who love one of the brothers. We get them in order; Mason/Drake, Thad/Aiden and Pierce/Kale. Now while I wasn’t a big fan of Thad’s book because his love interest confused me *facepalm on my part* I adored Aiden and couldn’t wait to get in his head.

We’re blood tied. Nothing is more powerful than that.

I love how vulnerable Aiden is in his book and how that vulnerability gives him the most strength. We know that Aiden is troubled by his vampyre side and doesn’t want to lose his fae side as it’s that which blood ties him to Thad. But Aiden is having trouble controlling the darkness that is his vampyre and that control includes the shift. Though Aiden and Thad keep it secret from the family, secrets are never kept long among the warlocks and they often lead to a bit of anger induces chaos.

We know what’s up with Icarian so far. We know how far he will go to get all the crests he needs to become invincible. We know who he has used to get what he wants and that he doesn’t care about the consequence. We know he had a chat with Drake and told Drake what may come. But what we don’t know if who Icarian really is and the why behind all he does.

Icarian could try to come between us, but he would fail.

There is a lot and I mean a lot that happens in this book that had me yelling at my Nook while I read. I thought I knew a few things and even when I turned out to be right, the author still pulled some plot twists that had me gasping. This book was a wild ride full of mystery, romance beyond the spirit realm and the best magical scenes that really are cinematic.

I want to type out all my feelings when it comes to this story but I can’t so I will try to stay neutral with it all and maybe just fangirl over Aiden? Really though, the dude is amazing. From the beginning when Thad saved him from a banshee, to him fighting in the otherworld, to the shit his dad pulls, to becoming a freaking fracking Vampyre... Aiden Teine, the rejected fae Prince of the Otherworld, beloved of warlock Thaddeus Blackmoor and member of the Blackmoor family has gone through more than any being should have to in one lifetime. Yet what does Aiden do? He still fights for what is right, for what will save the family he’s come to love and what he has to do to remain by Thad’s side forever.

Something was coming, and it was worse than anyone could imagine.
Goodness. Flores put my heart through a bit of angst in this one and gave me beautiful scenes of the ultimate sacrifice for love. Seeing what Aiden can become, what he does become and how that is all twisted around is what makes me such a fan of this series. It may all seem so simple on the surface but what we see isn’t always the truth when magic is involved.

I like that we got the Blackmoor family in this but it didn’t focus on the brothers as much considering all Aiden had to do… Aiden is on a hero’s journey though the outcome may be prophesied, prophecies are nothing when it comes to what the Blackmoor Warlocks do for those they love.

Their love for us gave them the power they needed. What if it’s their love that causes them to tap into magic beyond their control? What if that power begins to control them?

Ack I know. I am talking in circles and making zero sense. I have to say the deal with the Warlock Hag was outstanding. I thought it could be with a glimpse into the robe but when we get the reveal, I had the same reaction as Aiden. Gerald Wa… blah. I’ve not been a fan for a few books now and I stand on my side of giving the dude the bird. Really? Who turns their girlfriend into a vampyre and blames everyone but himself for doing it? The other protector covens still rub be the wrong way with their “but the Conclave said we can’t” deal and their perchance to weasel out of things unless the shit really hits the fan. They bug me and yet I want Adam Proctor to get his own book because he pulls at my heart for oh so many reasons.

Blood Drop, another title in this series that really has its own story within the romance. It’s foretold but its end depends on the love, trust and strength of one fire fairy turned vampyre turned… oh what? Thought I was going to tell you what else happens to Aiden? Nope, not gonna but it’s kinda amazing. This is a story where love triumphs evil. Where the fiery passion between a fae prince and a man who should be as cold as ice beat the odds. Where power can be all consuming and corruptible unless the love of family comes first.

“I love you, Thad. Please don’t forget that.” 

“I could never forget you. I love you enough for the both of us.”

What? What did I just say? I dunno but I loved the hell out of this book and am so freaking curious how the author will take the next book. Ahh the next book and my buddy Kale who belongs in my pocket. *sigh* I can’t wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment