Review: Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker

Kyle Vaughn had three goals in life: become a vet, find the man of his dreams, and start a family. He easily checked off the first item on the list when he took over his grandfather’s veterinary practice. Too bad he wasn’t as lucky in love.

Chaz Hamilton took a leap of faith when he decided to pursue a career in writing, but one best seller didn’t mean he could quit his day job. All work and no play threatened to make Chaz a very dull man when the only romantic action he saw was in the pages of his manuscript. Too bad he couldn’t write his own happily every after.

Circumstances pushed the two men together, and one magical kiss beneath fireworks and stars changed everything. Kyle knew his luck had finally turned around and Chaz found a man far better than any book boyfriend ever written. There was just one problem. Chaz has kept a secret from Kyle that could ruin their chance at a beautiful life together.

Kyle and Chaz learn that the best-laid plans often go awry, the heart has a mind of its own, and the greatest love is unscripted. 






It was so nice being able to revisit the town of Blissville again.  I fell in love with the community and it's inhabitants through Josh and Gabe's story in the Curl Up and Dye series and I was salivating at the thought of getting to read about Chaz and Kyle so I gleefully pounced on this book when it was offered up for review.   

In some ways, it was everything I could hope for, and more.  We were given hints about a possible relationship between the two in the previous series that intrigued me greatly.  Who wouldn't want to read about Dr. Dimples and the quirky sidekick who moonlights as a secret romance novelist?  We could see the attraction between them plain as day and the sexual tension was through the roof.  

Kyle a/k/a Dr. Dimples, the sexy veterinarian who just so happens to be Gabe's ex, is probably the most eligible bachelor in Blissville.  He's gorgeous, kind, intelligent and loving.  He's pretty much the embodiment of male perfection.





He and Chaz have been circling around each other for quite a while now.  They finally come together under the fireworks display but then Chaz runs.  You see, Chaz has been keeping a secret from Kyle, a bit of deception that started innocently enough, but, as time goes by, the guilt starts eating at Chaz until he can't see how any relationship with Kyle will ever flourish.  It takes him a long time to screw up the courage to tell Kyle the truth and by the time he does reveal the secret to Kyle, it may be too late to salvage even a friendship, let alone love.

I liked Kyle and Chaz together and I liked reading their story, but I didn't love it.  It didn't have the pizazz of Josh and Gabe's epic romance and, when compared to their predecessors, came across as a bit bland.  There were parts that stood out, such as Chaz's favorite movie being The Goonies (my favorite too) and Kyle's penchant for honesty and communication (which, I love) but for the most part I was kinda meh.  I found myself looking forward to when Josh was around as he livened up the story.  I think a large part of this was due to the fact that a good portion of the first half of the book was a retelling of the Curl Up and Dye series from Chaz and Kyle's perspectives.  While doing so makes this book easier to read as a standalone, it comes off a bit dry and redundant if you've read the other series.

In all honesty, my favorite part of the book was the ending, where we got Josh and Gabe's point of views again. I'm still glad I read this though.  I do like these characters and I love this town so I am eager to read the next book in the series.  It was a good comfort read that's light on the angst and a nice way to spend your Sunday afternoon.





https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35268262-unscripted-love

No comments:

Post a Comment