Audiobook Review: Wrapped Up in Chains by Cindy Sutherland

Devon West is a professional Dom who runs his own club, doesn’t believe in romance, and has never been in a long-term relationship. All this changes when he rescues Chase Mackenzie.

Chase is a runaway who has been kept as a slave since he was sixteen. Now twenty-three, he’s still innocent and sweet despite being severely abused and left behind by his Dom.

When Devon finds out that the man who held Chase hostage is the same man who hurt him terribly when he started learning about the sub/Dom lifestyle, he knows he has to keep Chase safe.

Spoiled rich boy and sociopath James Kingston is obsessed with Devon. He’s convinced Devon would be his perfect sub and Devon only thinks he’s a Dom because he needs proper discipline. Losing Chase to Devon is like rubbing salt in the wound, and he’s determined to get them both under his thumb. This time, Chase may need to rescue Devon.

Listening Length: 8 hrs 39 min
Narrator: John Anthony Davis


Well I went into this thinking I’d get a good BDSM story but instead got a good comfort story, am I complaining? Not at all! This was steady and peaceful, not at all what I was expecting and it was quite lovely. The audio however…. wasn’t bad….but I’ve definitely had better.

Chase has been a slave in the guise of a sub for the past seven years to a particularly sadistic and psychopathic ‘dom’. One night he’s left in Devon’s BDSM club and beaten badly in public. Devon, of course comes to the rescue and takes him under his wing while Chase has a chance to heal.

I was waiting… just waiting for the BDSM fixes all spiel, but it didn’t come at all here! In fact BDSM played a very minor role in the overall story here. We see more of Devon comforting Chase and falling more in love with him as Chase comes more out of his shell.

For me the romance between Chase and Devon lacked a little. I mean the comfort was great, like I’ve mentioned, but their love and connection felt to sudden to be able to suck me in the way I like.

Now this audio wasn’t bad. The voices were nice and normal and Devon's voice was pretty darn sexy but there was a significant lack of emotion, which could have contributed to my lack of connection to the couple. Obviously there are some beautiful moments in this story and I could sense some lines were meant to be delivered on a sob, or in a manner that tugged at the old heart strings, but they just weren’t.

While I did enjoy this story, I just can’t give a rating much more than average when I don’t feel a connection between the MC’s. Especially in a hurt/comfort book, where the connection is 80% of the story. Honestly I would probably recommend reading this in comparison to listening to it, but I still did enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment