Review: PeopleFish by Medella Kingston

Her Cree grandmother called it the gift of seeing, but for Petra Orvatch, knowing things in ways that defy explanation has made reality and fantasy blur in a world where the clocks literally go backward. Her fascinating and clairvoyant mind is a riddle that many doctors have tried to solve with medication. Love comes her way unexpectedly when she meets Fiona Angeli, a stunningly beautiful single mother. A risk-taker by nature, Fiona is not scared off by her new lover’s psychic abilities and eccentricities.

The two of them share passion and secrets on a magical and surprising journey, and their torrid love affair takes them to thrilling new places until betrayal divides them. Both these women fight battles within themselves; Fiona must gain control of her dangerous compulsions, and Petra’s onerous gift ultimately puts her at risk of losing herself in the gap between delusions and the real world.


I really can’t tell if Petra is clairvoyant or has the mental illness the doctors have been trying to treat. This story was confusing. There was a lot happening but it seemed to sidetrack and I couldn’t really tell what the filler details were trying to say.

I thought I almost had a grasp on the reason for time stopping in Petra’s reality but then it flittered away and didn’t fulfill it’s potential.

This story was slow for me. I wasn’t engaged enough in it and felt like a lot of the dialogue was to expand the story into a novel rather than for any meaningful purpose. This is unfortunate. Maybe another reader will get something else from it. I thought a lot of it could have been cut. It felt like there was no end goal in mind. I couldn’t see the wood for the trees. There were a lot of trees. Too many trees. It completely bogged the story with unimportant details and I got lost in it.

I didn’t feel very connected to Petra and Fiona as a couple. It made it easier to deal with the drama they encountered because I almost felt like they weren’t a good match, despite what the story was telling me. This is not what I expect from my romance novels though. I want to feel my heart breaking with the characters, and then being mended. That didn’t happen here.

Fiona was a vibrant character, and I really enjoyed her relationship with her friend Calvin, and her brother Anthony. I felt their connection as family, and really enjoyed when these two characters were involved. Mack was a cute kid. Very smart, and had some interesting things to say. I know a kid like this, so it was fun to read a character like him.

Petra was a great character when she was alone. I enjoyed the way objects spoke to her and she turned it into art. Her stories about her past were interesting. I thought the concept of Petra’s gift was great. It’s what drew me to the story to begin with.

It’s unfortunate that those pesky trees got in the way. I would have loved this story if there was a bit more chemistry between Petra and Fiona, and a lot less filler scenes and dialogue. I applaud the author on taking a strange concept and putting this story out there. It wasn’t for me but I think someone who likes that level of detail will really enjoy it.

This is recommended for people who enjoy bisexual characters who are with both men and women within the lines of the story. For people who are looking for women only erotic content, this is not the story for you.

A review copy was provided for an honest opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment