Guest Review: Boys Don't Cry by J.K. Hogan

Mackenzie Pratt is having the worst luck of his life. His apartment building is being torn down, and since he’s jobless and just weeks away from graduating college, he can’t find anywhere else he can afford to live that isn’t a critter-infested dump. As he’s lamenting the very real possibility of job hunting while couch-surfing, he gets an offer from the coworker of his best friend.

An in-demand mobile app developer and heir to his parents’ fortune, Laurent Beaudry is literally an eccentric billionaire. Even though Mackenzie realizes he’s basically living the plot of a cheesy romance novel, he takes the proffered room in Laurent’s Baltimore mansion. He finds his new housemate to be grumpy, brooding, and, at times, incredibly kind and endearing.

Raised by his brother after their father’s death, Mackenzie spent his formative years plowing headlong through school, focusing on little else beyond earning his teaching certification. He’s never taken the time to explore love and relationships, much less sexuality, so when he finds himself being courted by another man, he has no idea what to do. And when he realizes he might actually return those feelings, his life takes a whole new direction.


Reviewer: Lost in a Book


Well, that was an oddly enjoyable book about nothing. I couldn't help but think of Seinfeld while reading. They made millions while literally having a show about nothing. Outside of the synopsis description, very little happened. Seriously. there aren’t any surprises, plot twists, etc… in this book.

Mackenzie is graduating in a few weeks and unfortunately is being evicted from his apartment. Luckily, his friend Taylor is co-workers with a rich guy who graciously offers a wing of his mansion to sweet “Mack.” Mack was raised by his brother after the age of 15 and has focused on nothing else except going to school and making something of himself. This means he is a virgin and oh so confused with his sexuality. He has never had any urges until seeing Laurent AKA Laurie.

”When he smiled back at me, I got the feeling it was a rare sight. My heart raced, and I could feel my skin flushing all over. It was an unusual reaction for me.”

Laurie is a mobile app developer that is loaded with a B for billionaire. He is eccentric and broody which doesn’t come out to play much in the story. It is mainly just the surrounding characters stating he was eccentric and broody. There is a 12 year age difference and both men have baggage from their childhood. That’s pretty much the gist. Oh wait, there is a serious case of insta-love and irrational jealousy. *smh* At 29%.

He leaned in. “I don’t want anyone else to touch you. I don’t want you going home with anyone else. I’ve decided I’m in love with you.”

commercial photography locations

There wasn’t much more to this story. There were random events and characters such as Uncle Theo, Henry the ex, River the brother, and Mack teaching science lessons. These events were all loosely tied together and didn’t add anything significant to the story. If anything, the teaching parts detracted from it for me because it brought out my inner educator evaluator and I started judging the quality of his instruction. *shrug*

Let's call a spade a spade, shall we? This was really a book about a younger virgin living with a rich guy in his mansion and a bunch of sex. I didn't hate it. The sex was hawwwwwwt! Seriously.

"I didn’t know what this thing between he and I meant, but I was all fresh out of fucks to give when his nails were digging into my ass cheeks and his teeth were scraping along my neck."

The water park scene…

chef kiss.gif

There was some JV level drama or "angst" sprinkled throughout. The situations and reactions were predictable which pretty much kept the story light and fluffy.

Even with all that said, I liked it. It kept my attention even if I rolled my eyes at some parts. It was sweet like a cute little kitten. I just happen to like a little more bite from my MCs.

tiger.gif

If insta-love, sugary sweet, very low angst with a big ol' helping of sex is your thing, I'd recommend it to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment