Audiobook Review: Empty Net (Scoring Chances #4) by Avon Gale

Spartanburg Spitfires’ goalie and captain Isaac Drake ended last season with an unexpected trip to the playoffs. He’s found a home and family with his coach and mentor, Misha Samarin, and he’s looking forward to making a serious run for the Kelly Cup. But things take an interesting turn when Isaac’s archnemesis, Laurent St. Savoy, is traded to the Spitfires. After Laurent’s despicable behavior in the playoffs last year, Isaac wants nothing to do with him – no matter how gorgeous he is. But that changes when Isaac discovers the reason for Laurent’s attitude.

Laurent St. Savoy grew up the only son of a legendary NHL goalie in a household rife with abuse, constantly treated like a disappointment on and off the ice. When a desperate attempt to escape his father’s tyranny sends him to the Spitfires, the last thing Laurent wants is to make friends. But there’s something about Isaac Drake that he can’t resist, and Laurent has an opportunity to explore his sexuality for the first time, but he’s cracking under end-of-the season pressures. When facing the playoffs and a rivalry turned personal vendetta, Isaac’s not sure he’s enough to hold Laurent—or their relationship—together.


Please be advised: This book does contain some non-graphic references to past childhood physical/emotional abuse as well as issues relating to ED (bulimia and restricted eating, disordered thoughts about eating).

Listening Length: 6 hrs 38 mins
Narrator: Scott R. Smith


Fucking incredible!.... Maybe I should just leave the review like that :-).



Nah, I can’t step away without raving... just a little. If you go and read my review for the audiobook of Save of the Game in this series, you’ll see my serious heart eyes for Scott R. Smith’s narration. That doesn’t waver at all with this audiobook, everytime Laurent spoke it sounded like he was going to cry (which he probably was) and Isaac, I thought he was so well portrayed through this narration, very blunt but jovial.

I was absolutely dying to get my hands on Isaac and Laurent’s story. I didn't really read the blurb before diving in, so I was surprised that the hurt/comfort in this story was on Laurent’s side. I guess Isaac started healing when he moved in with Misha, so it was Isaac’s turn to help heal someone else. And my God, did Laurent need healing. That poor man was so messed up, but I really loved seeing his progression. I don’t think it felt too rushed, given this book is set over an entire hockey pre-season and season, but we did get to see all the highlights of his healing, which I liked.

Like the rest of this series, the sex is deliciously hot and with Laurent being demisexual, it was full of feels as well.

Also I can't leave this review without giving a special mention to Misha, man oh man how I love him!! I so wanted to see him go all Russian mafia on Laurent's dad, it didn't happen but I would pay good money to read that.

Anyway, just to make it quick, this is such a sweet healing/comfort story, it has super smoking sex, great side characters and a narration to die for. Give it a go!



Find on Dreamspinner Press or Goodreads!
See our ebook review here

No comments:

Post a Comment