Review: Building a Home (Harrington Hills #2) by Megan Linden

Dating a younger guy wasn’t anywhere in Zack’s plans, but can he ignore the instincts of his wolf?

Zack Harrington noticed David Dewitt the first time the guy showed up in Harrington Hills, but their first meeting was far from perfect. A few months later Zack still can’t forget about him, and now when the two of them belong to the same pack, their paths cross even more. The problem is, David is barely twenty-two and Zack still remembers how stupid he was at that age.

David knows he’s young, but he’s tired of hearing about it all the time. He’s not a kid and he hates being treated like one, even—or especially—by the hot deputy sheriff. But as they get to know each other better and the sparks between them turn hotter, David’s willing to leave that behind.

Can they move past the age difference and their own personal hang-ups?

Or will they ultimately fall into a trap of miscommunication and hiding?


I really like this series and being that it’s been almost a year since I read the first one, Leading Me Home, and I still remember it clearly, well, that’s the sign of a good story and a great start to a new series. Building a Home is a quality addition and the ending made me anxious for the next Harrington Hills story.

I loved David all to pieces and remember him well from Leading Me Home even though he only made a brief appearance. His appearance was a teaser for this one and I really needed to see how the stoic Deputy Sheriff Zack and David become a thing. I liked the ride, for the most part, my only issue was with “the issue”.

Both David and Zack are young, both in their twenties, but there is an eight year age difference. And while I get the difference between early 20’s and late 20’s can be big, that didn’t really apply here as David is not your typical 22 year old. He’s obviously more mature than most, he owns his own business already and supports himself. He and his brother are very close and his older brother Charlie took guardianship of him when their parents died, and the two have basically grown up together. Charlie is very protective and sometimes treats David like a kid. Understandable. But when Zack starts doing the same, David is not a happy dude.

Thing is, Zack doesn’t really have the right to. He was a shitheel of a teenager, rebelling and being a general pain in the ass. So, Zack projects his own immaturity from his youth onto David and basically spends his time with David banging and without David a miserable mess in his own head, second-guessing everything. He wants to push David away because he’s “too young”, which is total BS and frankly, it pissed me off. Thankfully Zack has his cousin Taylor to talk some sense into him and enlighten his ridiculous thinking. I only wished it would have happened sooner.

At the 75% mark, there was ‘the misunderstanding’ that was the catalyst for Zack getting his shit together, but I made a note in my Kindle “this fucker better do some serious groveling for the next 25%!” And he did, BUT, I wanted more. There wasn’t enough time at the end for me to get into these two as a couple. I think I was spoiled by the relationship between Kevin and Taylor in the Leading Me Home. They were friends first for a long time and it was obvious they were meant to be together. For David and Zack I didn’t get the same feel. They had the obvious wolf lust, but I wanted more of them together without the age battle so I could get a feel for Zack as a fully fleshed out character I liked vs one that was defined by his own angst.

I’m hoping they make an appearance in the 3rd book, because a little distance from the drama and a little bit of them together just enjoying each other would be a total treat. I can’t wait to read Book 3 though, the author is really good about setting up the next story. She works the setup seamlessly into the current book so, there’s just enough of tease to have me hooked, but not too much to be a distraction.

For more information, check out Building a Home on Goodreads.


**a copy of this story was provided for an honest review**

No comments:

Post a Comment