Audiobook Review: Commitment Ranch (Leaning N #1) by B.A. Tortuga

A fist fight, a snowstorm, a stolen kiss in the barn... and a second chance at love.

Ford Nixel has two law offices, two fancy condominiums, and all the right connections. In short, he has everything he wants.

The last thing he needs is his Uncle Ty’s stake in the Leaning N, a ranch that’s been in the family for generations. Ford hasn’t even been to the ranch in over a decade, not since he left his boyfriend Stoney behind and headed back to college alone.

Ford arrives at the Leaning N to find Stoney, now a single father, right where he left him. A fist fight, a snowstorm, and a stolen kiss in the barn later—Ford knows none of the heat between them has dissipated.

Listening Length: 6 hours and 20 minutes
Narrator: John Solo


John Solo does one of the sexiest baritone voices I have ever heard, and I loved that he used the huskiness for Stoney. Stoney is the sexy, silent type, wasting no words, and that combo really got me going. His character stole this book for me. I want more from him.


Ford was a nice, angsty character. A lawyer, so he over thinks everything, and a perpetual commitment-phobe, who hates Stoney for leaving him for his cousin and having a baby with her, but also had no intentions of settling down on the Ranch or in the sticks. His caustic attitude towards Stoney is very much intact, so when he is handed his uncle’s 55% stake in Leaning N Ranch, sparks fly once Ford and Stoney have to interact. This is actually a little bit of the ‘big misunderstanding’ that most people hate in gay romance. In this context, I actually didn’t mind it. It was a bit dramatic, but it carried the story.


These two characters are hot together, even while they bicker. And with John Solo making Stoney’s voice ‘fuck me’ hot, I was completely absorbed from beginning to end with every one of their interactions.


The other characters were well developed for this shorter story. I enjoyed that Stoney’s son, played an important part of this story, and Stoney’s lack of regret over his choices for his son is music to my ears.


Jeff’s character was a bit odd. I’m not sure what to make of him. I found the voice used for him a bit irritating, and I couldn’t really work out why his speech was so slow. I’m guessing the Vegan hippy (”Meat is Murder”) would speak like a stoner. His character worked well into the family environment, even if his voice didn’t work for me.


I’ve read a few BA Tortuga stories now, and I find the writing style flows well. The characters have a good depth, and they are reliable and solid. The plot arc was decent, and I enjoyed where the story went. Even the angst wasn’t over the top, and I found myself chuckling at some of it.


I am comfortable in the assertion that BA Tortuga knows how to write sex. I’ve not been disappointed with any of it to date. The emotional aspect of romance is there too, and I enjoyed the way these two characters developed over the story.


Recommended for all M/M Romance readers.


I received a copy from the publisher for an honest opinion


Find more info on Dreamspinner Press or Goodreads!

See our ebook review here!

No comments:

Post a Comment