Review: The Last Favor by Meg Harding

Three years ago Andrew Wilson and Flynn Barnett were in a relationship, until Flynn made a mistake that nearly cost Andrew his life. Andrew walked away from the FBI, his home, and his partner, and started over back in Montreal, running a restaurant.

Fast forward to the present and Andrew is knee-deep in preparations for his sister’s wedding. When an ex-colleague calls to ask for one last favor, the last person he expects to walk through his door is Flynn, in need of a place to stay. Only thing is, Andrew can’t say no.

Two weeks of wedding hijinks bring back all the old feelings that have simmered below the surface. Caught in a cycle of fighting and making up, the two men try to figure out if there’s anything they can salvage. And even if there is, Andrew can’t be sure this time will be any different.



This story was sweet and light. Andrew approaches Flynn in a bar one night and they have a one night stand. The next day he finds his one night stand in his boss’ office and is told they are now partners.

This story time jumps a bit, so there really isn’t any relationship development. I was just told that they ended up being partners and lovers, and everything was fine. Until Flynn made a secret, strategic move on a case they were on, which blew up in everyone’s face.

The reader is treated to the cliffsnotes version of their romance, and then Andrew is licking his wounds three years later after leaving the FBI and becoming a chef. His sister’s wedding is in two weeks and he is asked for a favor from his ex-FBI buddy Clint. Who should happen at the doorstep the next day, but Flynn.

I didn’t really get into this couple. I enjoyed them individually, and I think I could have really loved Flynn if I knew him better. The personality that I did see worked for me. I thought they could be good for each other, but the development wasn’t really there to convince me. Andrew is more laid back and Flynn is a bit flighty but uptight. I can totally relate to Flynn. Independent and just wants things to go the way he wants without any real input from anyone else. This pisses Andrew off, and was something that was mentioned as being a problem when they were together, but it’s not really something they work through during this story. Together, or apart, I don’t know. They worked for the most part, but they could have worked just as well with other people.

I did enjoy their arguments. I enjoyed their heat. I liked that Andrew stuck up for himself and didn’t fold to his feelings. He needed to be heard, and he made sure that his issues were out in the open. I just wasn’t convinced that they had worked anything out, and the problems that made Andrew leave weren’t really resolved.

Overall, this story was fine. It was interesting enough that I didn’t get distracted. I would have preferred more relationship development, and more character development for Flynn. The writing style was good, and the overall plot was decent. I would read more from this author.

A light read with reunited lovers, with some serious moments. I would recommend it to readers who want something light, but not overly fluffy.


Check out on:

Dreamspinner Press

Goodreads

Booklikes

No comments:

Post a Comment