Review: Bound (Guards of Folsom #5) by S.J.D. Peterson

Tek Cain & Jamie Ryan work at the Guards of Folsom BDSM club. After two years on the run from their old motorcycle club and the Feds, Tek & Jamie are finally able to relax and enjoy their new life in New York City. But the past won’t stay buried, and when the MC resurfaces, it’s Jamie who pays the price. Tek and the rest of the members at the Guards of Folsom must work together to get back one of their own.

In this, the final installment in the Guards of Folsom series, everyone must come together, bound as one in their quest to find Jamie and bring him home once and for all.










I think this was a case of “it’s me, not you”. I’m really not sure at what point this fell down for me.

Jamie and Tek are settling into their new life until their past comes back to claim retribution. Tek is frantic to find Jamie and while he is searching, with the help of all the members of their group, he can’t fight the panic and flashes of what life would be like without Jamie in it. WIthout Jamie, there would be no Tek.

I have read all previous stories in this series, and enjoyed every one of them. Some more than others, of course, but they’ve all been interesting, and I’ve enjoyed the journey.

This one though. I really don’t know. The story didn’t grab me. Or rather, the first part of the story grabbed me, but then it fizzled out. I don’t know if it was the amount of drama in the story that turned me off, or the amount of sex. Weird, for me, but there it is.

The flow was fine, and I liked a lot of the interactions between all the other members of the group. I enjoyed reading more about how strong Jamie’s and Tek’s relationship really is. They were made for each other, and it is good to see their unwavering loyalty to each other. It is definitely something special and rare. I think the best part about this couple is there is no drama within the relationship. It’s solid, and they work together to ensure they are both whole as individuals and as a couple. All the drama is external, they have complete faith in the love they have for each other. I want them to have a long and happy life together, and the character building in the previous book shows that they will be happy together forever.

So where did this go wrong for me? I really can’t say for sure, and I totally own whatever demon possessed me and changed the way I felt about this book. For those who have read the other books in the series, this is definitely a closer book, and if you’re invested in the series, I would encourage you to read it. For me, I think I could have stopped at the last book, and felt okay about it all.

I did enjoy the little snippets of “where are they now” with the previous characters. I’m a huge Micah and Tackett fan, I will never deny it, so I always get perky when Micah makes an appearance and gets sassy enough for Tackett to intervene.

Mason is still a dear-heart, and I was glad to get a glimpse of how he is progressing in his healing.

For whatever reason, this book didn’t work for me the way I had hoped, but I am sure it will work for others who have enjoyed this series to date. There are definitely some hot scenes, some exciting action, and some beautiful moments between Tek and Jamie. And as with the previous book, there is Tek’s journal entries to get a true glimpse into how much Tek adores Jamie, as well as his darkest fears, and deepest wishes.

Recommended for those who have read the previous Guards of Folsom stories. I would not recommend trying to read this as a standalone.




Check out:

Dreamspinner Press

Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment