Review: Beyond the Sea by Keira Andrews

Even if it means quitting their boy band mid-tour, Troy Tanner isn’t going to watch his little brother snort his future away after addiction destroyed their father. On a private jet taking him home from Australia, he and pilot Brian Sinclair soar above the vast South Pacific. Brian lost his passion for flying—and joy in life—after a traumatic crash, but now he and Troy must fight to survive when a cyclone strikes without warning.

Marooned a thousand miles from civilization, the turquoise water and white sand beach look like paradise. But although they can fish and make fire, the smallest infection or bacteria could be deadly. When the days turn into weeks with no sign of rescue, Troy and Brian grow closer, and friendship deepens into desire. 

As they learn sexuality is about more than straight or gay and discover their true selves, the world they've built together is thrown into chaos. If Troy and Brian make it off the island, can their love endure?


This is a great beach read in literally every sense. My only regret is that I didn’t actually get to read it at the beach! I shall remedy that the next time I read this one. And I will reread it, on vacation, on a beach. That was really what this book was made for. It’s pure entertainment from start to finish. 

There’s enough action at the beginning and throughout to make sure the peril these guys are in is not forgotten, but not so much that the hopelessness takes over. There was survivor’s guilt, breakdowns and close calls throughout their time on the island which kept the fluff balance just right. The island was an additional character that while beautiful could be a cruel bitch. I liked how this read and I could see how both of them were torn about their feelings and how the island changed them when they eventually made it home. I’m not talking about the romance part here, but how the experience affected their outlooks on life and their loved ones. Also, that’s not really a spoiler BTW, of course they made it home!

The angst is on the low scale, which I require for my vacation/beach reads. And while the low angst may not have been realistic considering the new terms these two are coming to understand in their lives, I didn’t really care because, again, beach read. Mostly though, and this is the most important thing, I loved the characters. Troy and Brian aren’t just a great couple for me, I genuinely liked both of their characters separately and together. The author did a great job of building these guys into fully fleshed out characters all around.

If you like your characters to be friends first, this is your story. There’s a slow build up to any hint of romance and lust which really worked for me because it was done so well. I loved reading how they got to know one another’s history and quirks, it was entertaining, funny and very sweet. There was definitely a bromance before the romance and their close friendship made me believe in their emotional connection and the love later on. Basically, the evolution was the story for me and the rest was a vehicle to get them there.

The awards, prizes and coronations for best first kiss need to go to Brian and Troy. I won’t, no, I can’t tell you any particulars because that would ruin the “first time read” for you and I hate when that happens. But, I will tell you, it was a fucking moment and I loved it! It spoke to the true romantic in me and I read it a couple of times because it was hot for sure, but even more it was so damn delicious and heartfelt.

The fact that they were each other’s firsts when it came to being with another man was addressed and was, as I said, low angst. The overall conclusion is that love is love and no one’s heart should be defined by a label. I think it was all summed up best by Tyson (Troy’s younger brother) when Troy went to visit him in rehab and told Tyson about Brian. That conversation was one of my favorite parts of the book, Tyson’s matter of fact view and unwavering love and support of his brother made my heart happy. Was it a little too perfect? Probably. Did I care? Nope.

Grab your beach chair, towel, cocktail of preference and of course, your sunscreen and enjoy this one. I did and I will again.

For more info on Beyond the Sea, check it out on Goodreads.




No comments:

Post a Comment