Unicorn Favourites: Love is an Open Road: Weeks 13 & 14

The M/M Romance Group on Goodreads hosts a Don't Read in the Closet event each year where they invite members to submit a photo with a story prompt. Interested authors then volunteer to write the requested stories, which are published for free for everyone to read. It's a fun/exciting/stressful process, and a great opportunity to read stories from favourite authors. And chances are, you'll also discover some new authors, who hopefully have a back-list of goodies to check out :)

This year's event was named Love is an Open Road and they started releasing the completed stories on June first. Here at BMBR, we've been following along on comment threads, anticipating the stories from our favourite prompts, and now greedily reading the stories as they become available.  The stories are being released slightly slower now - and many are novel length - so we won't be reading them as quickly, but we promise, we're still reading them!. 










Sunny: Reclamation by Cari Z, Sado by Steelewhisper, Dark Soul by Lexi Ander & The Biggest Scoop by Gillian St. Kevern
Awesome world building with a strong sense of place and appealing characters. The suspense had me a little stressed out and anxious, though. I don't like when that happens, but this was so good, I kept reading. It helped that the pacing was just right, carrying me through the tense parts. The writing style in general, the voices, descriptions, dialogue, really worked for me
Elegant, intense, quiet, and erotic. Beautiful.

I was incredibly impressed at what the author did with just over 5000 words, and little of it dialogue. The precise descriptions conveyed so much, not only about the setting, but about the characters. Yearning, respect, comfort, security...it was all there. The submission, the control, all shown in small details. 

And the ending...beautiful in its simplicity.
Omg...why didn't I wait?! I need part 2 right now!

So many of my favorite things in this story, I loved the world building, characters, and plot.

Sweet, tender, lusty, with a bit of the Mine!
...and there was a tail :P

YA isn't my favorite genre, so while I enjoyed the story, it wouldn't have made my favorites list if it hadn't been for Milo, who gets all the stars. Quirky, adorable Milo who made me laugh, and got me a little choked up. He is one of my all time favorite characters.
Lorix: Reclamation by Cari Z & The Biggest Scoop by Gillian St. Kevern 
I didn't think this prompt would be my thing. I'm so glad I gave it a go though because I loved this story. I loved the world that has been created by Cari Z. Matt and Grayson were great characters and I loved the journey we took with them in this dystopian future world. The attention to detail was amazing, the bosy modifications for example. I'm not the hugest futuristic fan - but when it's written well, I love it. This was written well.
The biggest scoop - firstly can I say how much I LOVE the cover. It really, really appeals to me and I would absolutely have chosen this book for the cover design alone, so kudos. As it was, cute cover or not, I am so glad I read this story. It was hilarious. I adored Milo, every over the top, foot in mouth bit of him. I loved him because he wasn't afraid to be himself. I loved him because he made mistakes. I loved him because he admitted when he was in the wrong. I loved his humour, his style, his kindness, his honesty, his....his everything. He was the story. Everything else slotted into place around him and it worked really well. Growing up is hard, but Milo does it in style. He is a force to be reckoned with and I am super glad I got to meet him. I also loved Taylor - and really the whole cast of characters. This book was a pleasure to read and I'll be watching for this author in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment