Review: Balls and Chains (Outlaw MC #6) by James Cox

Warning: Paddling, flogging, m/m sex, whip play, spanking, sex toys, caning, suspension bondage, knife play, Temperature play.

What if bad guys ruled the world and the good guys were the outlaws? The war has begun. The MC’s of Mars are fighting against the corrupt government and their archaic rules: Women are used for breeding, dark skinned men are slaves and homosexuals are executed. Whip is the kinky club member who is the best with current technology. He has the task of hiding out at Harley’s Hover Car Parts to monitor the government. He never planned on finding out the sexy ginger Harley had a crush on him. Whip isn’t like most men. He grew up with a harsh father that taught him early how to torture people. Whip turned that horror around and now he can’t live a vanilla life. He has whips and cages and toys that would make any sane man run.

The city on Mars becomes a battle for the future of our species. But the battle between Harley and Whip is just beginning. Will these two men find love with balls and chains?

I read this book. I read this book twice. I’ll read this book again because dammit, a kinky COX has become my favorite flavor. I’ve been dying to read Harley’s story ever since he was introduced. He’s an Irish ginger who supports the MC’s by running guns and ammo for them on the sly. He may not be a full-fledged member of the MC’s but he’s definitely on the inside. I knew he was going to hook up with one of them eventually but I really didn’t expect it to be Whip.

Whip has a bag full of kink he carries that serves to both amuse his libido and comfort his soul. Whip’s got a rough past and could have turned into the very thing the MC fights against, but instead he’s one of those strong characters who learned what not to do from his past instead of perpetuating the evil his father tried to teach him. “It was scary to look in a mirror and see the man you feared staring back.” His childhood did a number on him though. The man is incapable of vanilla so needless to say, between his need to dominate and the war against oppression on Mars, poor Whip doesn’t get to do a lot of hooking up.

Whip needs to get to Harley’s place and set up a tech hot spot so he can get eyes and ears on the Peacekeepers and report back to the MC’s. He sets up shop in Harley’s basement and at first Whip doesn’t think Harley is very happy to have him there, but after checking in with his brothers he gets a bit of intel that Harley may be a little bit, nay, a lot, interested in Whip. What comes next are some seriously hot fucking interactions. Literally. And this is what I loved about this story. These two and their kinks are a perfect match and they both recognize how amazing that is. But, and this is what I love about the COX and his stories, they don’t get ridiculously mushy about it all. The sweetness is tempered with humor and snark. James knows how to drop a little nugget of sugar and walk away. He gets the point across in a realistic way so it actually sounds like a real conversation I can believe in.

“Morning, Luv.”  
“Love, huh?”  
“Aye.” He straightened. “Ya don’t like it?” 
I pulled the blanket away and stood. “I like it a lot.”

It’s not a lot, but considering the pressure they are under and the fact that they are still in the middle of Kinkville and crossing the border slowly into the land of Feelz, it’s pretty damned sweet. Reading about Mr. Kinks-a-lot having a sweet side with Harley, a man who appreciates him and embraces his darker side, made me swoony.

The planned attack on the government building is executed and it was well written and exciting to read. There is added pressure in that the Earth prison is being abandoned and Lover is still there serving his sentence. Poor Outlaw is still a mess and will not rest until Lover is back with him. It squeezes me in the heart when Outlaw (Knox) refers to Lover by his given name, Liam. That was kind of a big deal in book 2, Underneath his Armor, and it’s those little things that make this series more than just sexy, action, sci-fi.

I usually like to share a quote to end a COX review, but this time I want to share a ‘moment’ instead. Why? Because s’hot, that’s all the reason anyone needs.

Harley’s foreskin was scrunched back showing off his rounded head and a pearly drop. I swiped at the pre-cum with my finger and then brought it to his lips. The cloudy liquid smeared on his upper lip and then his lower making them shine. Then I kissed Harley. We shared the taste of him as I pulled our bodies together.


OK, I totally lied to you, here are a couple of my favorites from #6, it's too hard to choose just one.

“The last time he was a clean-shaven ginger with freckles on his cheeks that I wanted to trace with my dick.”

“The guys are waiting to say goodbye.” I rolled my eyes. “You do realize for badass bikers, leaders of the resistance . . . we hug too fucking much.”

You’re welcome.

ETA: WAIT! Holy Fook!
How could I forget the cock cage? Who does that? I’m so disappointed in myself.
Dear James, can we get a scene with the cock cage since that thing happened with those guys and the stuff didn’t happen? (That’s my version of covering a spoiler :D) Please???
OK, spanksyouverymuch.

Check out Balls and Chains over on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment