Review: David's Selfie by Daisy Harris

When David, a single father, vows to get laid just once before the year ends, he doesn't figure on losing his cell phone—and with it one very revealing picture. Lucky for him, his phone is found by a disarmingly handsome man who might be perfect for the kind of casual Christmas fling David is after.

Go-go dancer Craig never would have guessed that the guy with the cute cock shot would turn out to be a doctor. Or that he’d find himself lying about his night job and worrying David will find out the truth. To complicate matters, each of their hook-ups requires days of planning. Yet before he knows it, Craig has a new boyfriend, and possibly a whole new family.

David’s ready to dive head-first into something new, but if Craig’s going to commit, he’ll need to come clean about his job, his past, and—most of all—the naughty picture that drew him to David in the first place.

Warning: Contains a male exotic dancer and extremely intimate photography. May contain traces of Zumba, bad roommates, and sad childhoods.

Call your doctor if after six hours you still can’t get the grin off your face.



My first load of Santa jizz and I'm in a great mood. No Christmas sugar induced coma either.

Why "David's Selfie" works for me?

  • It's not annoyingly sugar sweet where the Jizzmas spirit miraculously saves all the problems. 
  • The author seems to have the same sense of humor as me. Funny is as funny does, I actually laughed at few scenes. (The first chapter with the crotch selfie? *snickers*) Oh, I like it when I share the same humor. (I'm saying this in my Stewie voice) 
  • And this was realistic! The reactions, the characters and the plot - I buy it. I always root for the underdog MC, the MC that has to work for the life they have. Craig, the Masters student who works two jobs, is an ex-foster kid and never had a sweet life? He was a pleasure to read. The other MC, bisexual widower, David and his three-year-old, Maia, they were endearing and real too. Go figure, a toddler who acted her age instead of a miniature adult.



Told in alternating POV, this holiday novella starts with a crotch pic. How cool is that? A romance that starts with a lost cell phone and selfie...which grows into a HEA romance.

David is a doctor who should be at the prime of his life. He's only thirty. But he has a three year old and is already a widower. He is lonely and trying to get back into the dating game. So to try to entice potential suitors in this day and age, he takes a picture of his Johnson. In a comedy of errors, he loses his cell at a club. And the guy who he ogled but never thought he'd have a chance with, the hunky go-go boy, Craig finds the phone. And so begins their mating dance.


Craig was a nice guy. He proved to be more than a pretty face and hot body. He wanted substance and he finds that in David. Maybe not the built-in family with Maia (loved his reaction to her). He knows David would be worth it though in the beginning there are a few factors that work against them. They make it work, be it conflicting schedules, no available places to hook up, a wicked cold or not fully opening about their entire life. There is some "let-me-not-tell-what-I-really-do-for-a-living-since-you're-a-professional-and-I'm-not" aka "you're too good for me" but it wasn't heavy handed.

My issues: The story starts strong, ends rushed. 
  • I think the 'I love you' bit also was premature. Maybe not on David's part as he's used to being in a relationship but Craig? The kid who couch surfed, has been kicked out at seventeen and lived in his own, has abandonment issues, never been in a relationship, is hard to crack (as he admits)...I expected more of an internal struggle from him. It's hard to go from being independent and not needing another person to opening up. Maybe that part is just me, I guess it could happen. I just question if it would truly be Craig's reaction. 
  • And I love epilogues,love them. This one...it wasn't really necessary. It also read rushed.

Overall a great story. Not too merry sweet, a little hurt /comfort, some laughs, hot sex, and a heavy dose of reality.




And the best part? The story is not a one trick pony that relied on the selfie...it is way more than a dick pic. It's a happy romance, light low on the angst and relatable.

Find out more information on Goodreads and Booklikes!

2 comments: