Review: Slasherazzi by Daniel A. Kaine


Recently promoted to Detective, Alex is out to prove himself and the Slasherazzi case is the perfect opportunity. Mutilated corpses are showing up across Tampa, and when the team discovers the newest victim was tortured alive, Alex becomes more determined than ever to stop the crazed serial killer before the horrific stabbings escalate further.

With the return of Alex’s ex-boyfriend and journalist, Vince, the investigation takes a dangerous twist: the killer starts showing a personal interest in Alex. Can he stop the murders and salvage his relationship with Vince, or does he risk letting both men get away?


 
This is some gory shit, right here. I think I want to rate it, like, 3.75, but I don't know if we have a heart thingy for that (despite me myself making the heart thingys), so I'll stick with this. Oh, and spoiler-free.
This was actually so sick. I loved it. I love horror/thriller, and this definitely delivered that. The mystery was good--really good--and I felt like the writing was extremely engaging. Needless to say, I don't exactly consider this a romance, which is great, because I'm totally into the M/M genre with very little actual romancing
Have you guys watched Dexter? This is like a gay Dexter book. Did you see the season where the cop dude, Quinn (maybe one 'n') dates that reporter and tells her shit he isn't supposed to, or she snoops around his apartment? That's like this for me. So, uh, near the beginning of the book, as we were learning all about Alex and Vince, I liked Alex, even though I think he's kind of a moron, and I wanted to punch Vince straight in the dick. I can't handle reporters. I feel like every show I watch *cough* House of Cards *cough* or book I read with reports, I just want them to nose-dive off a bridge. I can't help it. It's just my initial reaction. 
The scenes from the killer's POV were great, AND needed. Except I'm a total wuss and some parts literally made me want to hurl.

Did I know who the killer was? In one word: yes. The entire time? Pretty much. "But Natasha, don't be so self-involved. It's a very unique plot!" The reason I knew who the killer was was because this book was written for someone exactly like me, and this is exactly how I'd like for the book to go. It's rich and devious and great.

So why am I rating it 3.5 stars? Well, I wanted to rate it higher, but hear me out. The characters were so muddled, for me. I didn't love them. I disliked Vince, and I didn't much care for Alex. I think if they'd have been stronger characters, this book might've worked a tad better for me.

Needless to say, though, I'll definitely be reading more fucked up stories from Kaine in the future. I think, deep deep down, we might be soul mates.

Find more information on Goodreads and Booklikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment