Review: The Backup Boyfriend by River Jaymes


Professionally, Dr. Alec Johnson has almost reached his goals. As this year’s recipient of a humanitarian award with his ex, Dr. Tyler Hall, Alec’s work with the homeless is about to be recognized. Unfortunately, his personal life sucks because now he has to attend several events alongside Tyler—with his ex’s new boyfriend in tow. In an attempt to lift his mood and break out of his rut, Alec purchases a motorcycle he has no idea how to start.

Dylan Booth doesn't have time for Dr. Clueless and his fickle 1964 Harley, but the cocky mechanic can’t say no to the request for help. Having spent his teen years on the streets, and losing his best friend to HIV, Dylan decides teaching the do-gooder how to ride is the least he can do. But watching Alec flounder in his ex's company throws Dylan into protector mode, and the confirmed hetero introduces himself as Alec's new boyfriend.
The ex suspects Dylan is lying.
Alec claims Dylan’s plan is insane.
And Dylan’s not sure he can fake being gay.

But he’s a master bullshitter, and the phony PDA soon turns ultra-hot. Alec can’t afford to get attached, and Dylan’s learned everyone eventually leaves. Unfortunately, playing the backup boyfriend is starting to feel way too real…





     The Backup Boyfriend by River Jaymes is getting all types of positive accolades from glowing amazeballs reviews to "....but these go to eleven" ratings.

I know some of you are going to being throwing literary stones at me but I love, love, love the "Gay-for You "plot in books  in fact I will buy and read almost any book using that device and yes there are times when it is obviously just a device and not very believable.   I will own the fact that I am one of those readers that will go along with the story no matter what crazy scheme the author devices for why Super Hetero guy all of a sudden likes the cut of a mans' jib.... I just close my eyes and click my heels together and "believe" the trope but now that my opinion is totally devalued -- this is one of the most realistic portrayals I have read.  The story revolves around finding the person attractive not the gender and there is something in Alec that makes Dylan hummm... We have all been there that special feeling we get when you connect with another person at all levels and then realize "hey this person is very attractive."

And I just love the fake relationship shenanigans in books --- sooooooo gooooood. You know there will come a point when the relationship turns real and that anticipation is just as exciting for me as the build up to any sexual tension.

 Also the super brainy cute guy with the rough hot guy from the streets who runs vintage motorcycle repair chop.. Sexy motorcycle guy is a given on the hot meter.  Who doesn't want to parade that guy in front of the ex who left. I mean it is a walking talking "FU" without having to be crass. The fact that Alec and Dylan actually develop a friendship first is just the cherry on top of this fun sundae.

I love Dylan and the fact that I share the tendency to open my mouth and say whatever it takes to defend a friend even if what I say is stupid, just makes me that much more stubborn I will stick to the story to the end.. I don't live in the land of the Alamo for nothing. So I 100% buy that Dylan will do whatever it takes to give truth to his lie just to prove an asshat wrong.

Alec's reasons for going along with the charade are also believable . I mean come on I would be, and have been despondent for eons when dumped.  Hands up on how many of us were more crushed on being the dumpee as opposed to the dumper (ughh wait is that a legitmate word for this) anyway... then Tyler has the nerve to hook up with younger/thinner/hotter..... oh wait that is my phobia but still you get the point. So then Alec's decision to buy a bike when he did no research, didn't ask any questions and has no clue how to maintain the dang thing is really par for the course and again totally believeable in the realm of idiotic things our crazed up brains will think is alright when we are grieving.

There are many other plot points and character revelations that I really enjoyed, not all is evil in Tyler land, Alec's realization on what a relationship and the freedom of choice really mean and his whole discussion with his mom on that very topic is beautifully crafted by River Jaymes.

There are some really harsh truths shown by Ms. Jaymes. Rick and Noah's relationship; living on the streets and what a person  would do just for a bite to eat.. River Jaymes does not trivialize the reality of kids living on the street and what they have to do for money. She also points out all the benefits to Care clinics for HIV treatment and what they mean to those with access and sadly to the far too many without, yet all of this is done without it being preachy and coming across as a social service ad. It will break your heart but if you don't feel the need to act or contribute in some way then you really just don't have one.

River Jaymes has some very sensual and "artistic" sex scenes that I can not spoil but trust me it is a very "genius" take on the beauty of the human body. Yes.. Yes I am being cutesy with my words

Really the more I write the more I am afraid to ruin the journey for the readers. It is a good one.



A copy provided by the author for an honest review.

 

4 comments:

  1. Nice review Jo! This really was a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely review! And I'm glad you liked the book, Debra!

    Cheers,
    River

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it was a great book and am looking forward to reading book two in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite feel good story at the moment.

    The bonus scene on the author's site is a wonderful revisit. In character, funny and sweet, http://www.riverjaymes.com/bonus.html

    ReplyDelete